b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gen 1 vs Gen 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gen 1 vs Gen 2
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:29:39 -0500

Could Gen. 1 and Gen 2 possibly both be in sequential order?

Pro:

God created Adam before the beasts, and builded Eve after.

Gen 1 does not give the details and says that God created man after the
beasts because man's creation was not complete until Eve was built, and she
was built last.

The waw-consecutives in 2:9 & 2:19 indicate that Gen 2 is sequential.

2:9 And out of the ground Jehovah Elohim made every tree grow that is
pleasant to the sight, and good for food; and the tree of life, in the midst
of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

2:19 And out of the ground Jehovah Elohim had formed every animal of the
field and all fowl of the heavens, and brought them to Man, to see what he
would call them; and whatever Man called each living soul, that was its
name.

Con:

The waw-consecutive beginning 1:26. "And God said, Let us make man in our
image, after our likeness; ." means that God created Adam after the beasts.

Dilemma: If we believe both Gen 1 & Gen 2 to be true, then either the
waw-consecutive in Gen 1:26 is past-perfect, or the waw-consecutives in 2:9
& 2:19 are past-perfect. Does anyone know an example where a waw-consecutive
is past perfect?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Steve Miller

Detroit

www.voiceinwilderness.info

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, and the LORD delivers him out of
them all. (Ps 34:19)