b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Meaning of Samuel, was Re: 1 Sam 1:28 -- Asked - Lent??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Meaning of Samuel, was Re: 1 Sam 1:28 -- Asked - Lent??
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:06:30 -0700

Yigal:

I don't think the name's meaning in this context needs to be the same as the
story, rather can be the completion of the idea: Hannah asked God to give
him to her, then God placed him in her arms, hence his name "God placed
him".

Yes there are clear cases where the names are the same as the thought, as in
the naming of the twelve sons of Jacob, but other cases are not as clear
cut.

I think the split of the sin and shin happened post-exile. Therefore, in a
pre-exile story such as this, we should not rule out the possibility of
shins being sins and visa versa, or more accurately just to forget the
distinction.

Karl W. Randolph.