b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] My Final Post Before I can love I must have peace and before I have peace I must have truth All about the Hebrew Bible/Language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] My Final Post Before I can love I must have peace and before I have peace I must have truth All about the Hebrew Bible/Language
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:40:10 -0400

Todah for letting me unload. I've been restless for a long time. This discussion with y'all has helped me find the peace my brain requires.

I am terrified of everyone I meet because of the following:

I think every high school USA student should know the following:

1. Every time the word "Lord" is used, it should be YHWH.

2. The word "Law" in the New Testament is really "Torah".

3. All Christians should study Talmud.

The above is my Emet.

This is my Shalom, this Britannica article:

Opposition to the Talmud

Despite the central place of the Talmud in traditional Jewish life and thought, significant Jewish groups and individuals have opposed it vigorously. The Karaite sect in Babylonia, beginning in the 8th century, refuted the oral tradition and denounced the Talmud as a rabbinic fabrication. Medieval Jewish mystics declared the Talmud a mere shell covering the concealed meaning of the written Torah, and heretical messianic sects in the 17th and 18th centuries totally rejected it. The decisive blow to Talmudic authority came in the 18th and 19th centuries when the Haskala (the Jewish Enlightenment movement) and its aftermath, Reform Judaism, secularized Jewish life and, in doing so, shattered the Talmudic wall that had surrounded the Jews. Thereafter, modernized Jews usually rejected the Talmud as a medieval anachronism, denouncing it as legalistic, casuistic, devitalized, and unspiritual.

There is also a long-standing anti-Talmudic tradition among Christians. The Talmud was frequently attacked by the church, particularly during the Middle Ages, and accused of falsifying biblical meaning, thus preventing Jews from becoming Christians. The church held that the Talmud contained blasphemous remarks against Jesus and Christianity and that it preached moral and social bias toward non-Jews. On numerous occasions the Talmud was publicly burned, and permanent Talmudic censorship was established.

On the other hand, since the Renaissance there has been a positive response and great interest in rabbinic literature by eminent non-Jewish scholars, writers, and thinkers in the West. As a result, rabbinic ideas, images, and lore, embodied in the Talmud, have permeated Western thought and culture.

So now I can have Ahavah.

I promis y'all I'll not respond any more. I will still be receiving your digest and learn with y'all.

  • [b-hebrew] My Final Post Before I can love I must have peace and before I have peace I must have truth All about the Hebrew Bible/Language, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz, 10/18/2006