b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Common Sense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Common Sense
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:38:31 -0400

For me, I've decided that Judaism historically is a documentation of Common
Sense and that's what Y'H'W'H means. In fact, in a recent article in Jewish
World Review there appears to be an article (I haven't read) that states
that Judaism is not a religion. So that debate is now ongoing, I guess. I
don't think it is either. Also there are the beginnings of saying the Bible
(with/without Apocrypha/Koran) is the oldest ancient history book that
exists. I also came to that conclusion 25 years ago. So it's a relief that
there are glimpses being published with this sort of intellectual
management. I don't have time to read every single article in every
newletter I get, so I use the lead statements to justify that I can
participate with my own mind. With blogs abounding, that's what we've got,
and thus you get a feel for the way the Sekhel Ha-Yashar is going. Lots of
individual expressions at last. Out of this talmudic management of the
collection of books called the BIBLE we can all get our own support for our
own lives from common cheap ancient history textbooks.

1. Is it correct to say in Hebrew that Sekhel Ha-Yashar means Common Sense,
as my Webster's New World does?

I've decided to simplify this subject for Common management to the King
James version of TaNaKh. That's because many years ago at the JCC in
Rockville, MD a Rabbi encouraged us to bring in our own bibles and he said
that the King James Version is respected by Jewish scholarship. I've also
decided to use the Lingua Frenca for my initial research because it is the
Lingua Frenca. English is used in many countries to get a national Common
Sense. Earlier in my lifetime, it was divided between French(literary) and
German(scientific). Maybe Hiroshima changed all that and united the Lingua
Frenca because my kids (born early 1950) didn't have to take foreign
languages to get into college. I can tell you that Hiroshim influenced my
management of Common Sense forever. I can describe the difference the
minute we got news about it, when I was in high school. I'll never forget.

2. I searched "common" and "sense" and as usual for me personally, the
list was very revealing and I found philosophical ideas in specific verses
that really attracted me to investigate further. Especially the verse in
EcclesiastES.

3. I've always gotten mixed up between EcclesiasTES and EcclesiatiCUS. I
like them both. Isn't it true that it was a close call to get
EcclesiastiCUS included in TaNaKh, just like Job which got included? Is
Ecclesiastes originally in Hebrew? Ecclesiasticus in Greek? Has there been
any which is a separate discussion from now on.

This is the list for searches on "common" and "sense" in King James:
So now I need help. Hebrew experts welcomed for root words. Especially
since in the Lingua Frenca both Adonee and YHWH are translated as "Lord" for
over 2000 years, even in Hebrew ;)

The Holy Bible, King James Version COMMON
Leviticus 4:27

27And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth
somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which
ought not to be done, and be guilty;

Numbers 16:29

29If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after
the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me.

1 Samuel 21:4

4And the priest answered David, and said, There is no common bread under
mine hand, but there is hallowed bread; if the young men have kept
themselves at least from women.

1 Samuel 21:5

5And David answered the priest, and said unto him, Of a truth women have
been kept from us about these three days, since I came out, and the vessels
of the young men are holy, and the bread is in a manner common, yea, though
it were sanctified this day in the vessel.

Ecclesiastes 6:1

1There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among
men:

Jeremiah 26:23

23And they fetched forth Urijah out of Egypt, and brought him unto Jehoiakim
the king; who slew him with the sword, and cast his dead body into the
graves of the common people.

Jeremiah 31:5

5Thou shalt yet plant vines upon the mountains of Samaria: the planters
shall plant, and shall eat them as common things.

Ezekiel 23:42

42And a voice of a multitude being at ease was with her: and with the men of
the common sort were brought Sabeans from the wilderness, which put
bracelets upon their hands, and beautiful crowns upon their heads.

The Holy Bible, King James Version SENSE

Nehemiah 8:8

8So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense,
and caused them to understand the reading.