b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] LXX, MT and the NT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] LXX, MT and the NT
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:38:51 -0400

Hi Folks,

> c) The apostles and Jesus used the Hebrew Bible, and the Greek OT was
> changed
> in many ways from the 2nd through 5th-6th centuries. ("smoothed") to be
> closer
> to the NT.

Let me add to this that in this view there is absolutely nothing amiss with
the
Greek NT quotes varying from the Hebrew Tanach. In some cases verses are
combined (Mark 1:2, Romans 3, Jesus quoting the Isaiah scroll), in other cases
the speaker or writer is adding insight while referencing the Tanach, as under
the Hebraic concept of midrash, or is sharing a Messianic revelation
fulfillment.
In other cases they might have been using a different language version (the
Ethiopian in Acts). Each citation is a fascinating study on its own, which
is
one reason why statistical methodologies have to be approached with caution.

In another case the claim that there is a straight difference
(almah/parthenos -
sometimes given as the most important example of how the apostles used the
Greek OT) is itself dubious or at least subject to lots of counterpoint. And
it
actually only transfers the question of Greek/Hebrew-Tanach word
compatibility
from the Greek NT to the Greek OT anyway (unless one makes the strange
claim of putting the Greek over the Hebrew, a view for Isaiah which the DSS
has essentially nailed the coffin).

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY