b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zoroaster and Judaism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zoroaster and Judaism
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:15:27 +0200

Dear Ethel,

As you probably know, the authorship of the Torah is one of the most debated
issues in biblical studies. The traditional view that it was authored by
Moses is considered unlikely by most modern critical scholars. The "classic"
19th century Documentary Hypothesis sees the Torah as a final edition of
several documents, the earliest of which (J) was written during the time of
David, Solomon or one of their immediate successors, the latest of which (P)
was written during the post-exilic period. Newer views tend to assume that
most of the Torah was written later, rather than earlier - even as late as
the Hellenistic period. A lot of attention has been focused on the Persian
period as the time in which the Priestly documents would have been written,
and as the time in which the whole thing may have been put together and
introduced as a sacred text of Judaism. And since Zoroasterism was in the
process of becoming the main religion of the Persians at the same time,
there is plenty of ground for speculation.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>