b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24 70 weeks are decided (singular verb)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24 70 weeks are decided (singular verb)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:50:55 -0700

Kenneth:

Collective nouns can take either singular or plural verbs depending on
if one emphasizes the group or the individuals in the group. The same
with a grouping of objects, though usually with the plural, less
commonly with the singular.

Given that, the seventy sevens are being taken as a group, as
indicated by the singular verb.

Karl W. Randolph.