b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; was: Translating

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; was: Translating
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:04:35 +0100

Dear Rochelle,

Thank you for your interesting points. There are certainly traces of various
old notation systems, and the matres are instructive as well. However, as I
have
already stated, the difference between shewa and patah is the worst possible choice
to mark an important
semantic difference, since their default pronunciation in Masoretic times
probably was similar. The fact that the matres used in the DSS almost never
represent shewa or patah illustrates the problem in identifying WAYYIQTOLS in
the DSS.

I have compared all the finite verbs in the Samaritan Pentateuch with the
MT, and I
found the same as Ben-Hayyim (2000:171):

"In their /the Samaritn/ tradition, as in the second column of OrigenĀ“s
Hexapla, there was no morphological distinction between what we know as waw
consecutive and waw conjunctive. Neither of them caused gemination of the
following consonant in the imperfect."

The real issue is whether WAYYIQTOL is a conjugation distinct from
YIQTOL/WEYIQTOL. The point I would like to stress is that we neither find
any morphological difference nor any semantic difference between WEYIQTOL
and WAYYIQTOL before the Masoretes. I estimate than 93,1% of the WAYYIQTOLs and
53,4% of the QATALs in the MT have past reference, . This is the situation
that grammarians have not been able to fathom from the Middle ages and until
present: If the WAYYIQTOLs are nothing but YIQTOLs with prefixed
conjunctions, why are WAYYIQTOLs the primary form used in past narratives
together with the QATALs?

David Kimxi and scholars both before and after him were influenced by the tense system of Mishnaic Hebrew, and the tense systems in the languages that were spoken around them, as well as Arabic and Aramaic grammar. They only knew tense and not aspect and did not distinguish between past tense and past reference. Thus, they imagined a tense system with both QATAL and WAYYIQTOL as past tenses. Semitic scholars in the 19th and 20th centuries did not distinguish between past tense and past reference, although this was a fundamental distinction for liuguists. These scholars knew the concept "aspect," but to this day this concept is defined by metaphors, by a mix of Aktionsart terms, or by obsolete expressions. Therefore, it is still impossible for the scholars to accept that some YIQTOL s refer to the present and many others (read: WAYYIQTOLs) to the past.

This semester my Ugaritic class reads the saga of Kirta, and I have used the opportunity to make a thorough study of the use of verbs. A starting approach to find which Hebrew verbs are used with past and future reference is to read about the construction of the temple. First we read what will be done, and then we read that it has been done. The principal verbs used in these accounts are YIQTOLs for the future and QATALs for the past. The saga of Kirta is an excellent place for the same approach regarding Ugaritic. Kirta has a dream, and it is described what will happen; then it is described how it happened. The interesting thing is that so many of the clauses with future reference are identical with the corresponding clauses with past reference to the smallest detail, including the verb forms. So far I have a list of 20 identical clauses, all having both past and present reference. In 11 of these the verbs are YAQTUL(U) (corresponding to Hebrew YIQTOL) and 9 have QATALA verbs (corresponding to Hebrew QATAL). In some cases it can be argued that the QATALA verbs represent participles, since the morphology is similar (vowels are lacking). But a similar argument cannot be made regarding the YAQTUL(U) forms. This means that in Ugaritic texts scores upon scores of QATALA forms and YAQTUL(U) forms are used with past reference, and scores upon scores of YAQTULU forms are used with present and future reference, and some QATALA forms are used with present and future reference as well. Theis is a situation that is very similar to Hebrew narratives with WAYYIQTOLs and QATALs. And in Ugaritic one can hardly argue that there is a prefixed morpheme that changes the tense or aspects of certain verb forms. Many of the YAQTULU forms with past and present reference have the conjunction WA prefixed, but in most cases there is no prefix.

A new approach where new parameters to describe tense and aspect are used can help explain why thousands of both imperfective verbs (WAYYIQTOLs) and perfective ones (QATALS) are used with past reference both in Hebrew and Ugaritic. Please note that the languages are very close. In my list of words from Kirta, between 70% and 80% of the Ugaritic words have Hebrew cognates.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "rochelle altman" <willaa AT netvision.net.il>