b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

Yigal Levin wrote, inter alia:

"Now was this the case during the first and second centuries CE, ....
What did the "Hebrew Bible" of the time include? Unfortunately, we
have only partial information."

The information is indeed partial, but there are some distinct
guides: the numerous biblical quotations in the Mishnah
-- redacted about 200 CE -- all consist of consonantal verses of what
eventually became known as the MT when vocalization
was added.

One can conclude with a high degree of certainty that that was
the official text of the Jewish community already then.

Uri