b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] TRe: poetic accents and poetic metre

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rochelle altman <willaa AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] TRe: poetic accents and poetic metre
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:53:35 +0200

Vincent,

I just finished reading your draft; you have an error in a basic premise. The Psalms are meant to be sung -- not chanted. Just ask the early Church fathers.

The point is one must know the history of religious music or you fall into the trap your 'authorities' did of unquestioned acceptance of desired as opposed to actual history. The very concept that Psalmody is aligned with Gregorian Chant is fallacious. One also needs a background in music theory and practice to approach the Psalms -- or any other songs in the MT.

First of all, Gregorian Chant never existed.It's a pot-pourri of Frankish and Roman chant and dates to ca. 100 to 150 years AFTER Gregory I. (d. 601).
Second, until the 4th century, translators tried to fit the words to the existing Hebrew Melodies -- and it shows..Greek parsing rhythms are completely different from Hebrew parsing rhythms. The Greek versions are full of trilling.
Third, the LAtin versions have the same problem; during the Renaissance, the trilling was called 'goat's trill.'.
Fourth, the tempi were slowed in order to hide the misfit between Latin and Hebrew parsing rhythms... the concept that the slowed tempi equals 'grandeur' is a retrofit.
Fifth, Hebrew Psalmody is descended from Sumero-Ajjadian hymnody.
Sixth, Medieval mathematical and geometric theories of composition -- which are based on the techniques used in the MT -- are required reading.Generative grammar cannot be used on any part of the MT -- inclusive of the songs.
.
There is much more, but I think you get the idea and it seems redundant to iterate material I have already addressed in Chapters 9 and 10 of my book.

Sung, not chant! Heck,in the late 10th-century, AElfirc the Grammarian refers to the Psalms as 'harp song'.

I have a bib i can send you re: the North and North-West Semitic musical tradition of religious music and musical notation systems that might be useful. I could include a smattering of more recent works on the mathematical and geometric theories as well.

And I know that folks pooh-pooh "counting syllables" -- I have to inform folks that Hebrew song is syllabic song , that is, one note sung to each syllable. You darn well better count the syllables if you want to have any idea of the meter and density of Hebrew religious song.

Avi,

I wonder...did you happen to notice that Haik-Vantoura conflates musical notation with
grammatical notation? Or that she gets the tempi all wrong? Are you aware of the fact that
Hebrew Psalmody descends from Sumero-Akkadian hymnody and not from Egyptian hymnody
as Haik-Vantoura and John Wheeler assume?

If you really want to be informed about Hebrew music, try reading Avneri or Werner or even the first three chapters of Will Apel's 'Gregorian Chant.', second ed. Come to think of it, Vincent, read those first three chapters... and if you get further into the book, you'll find out about the fallacy of Gregorian Chant as well as the way the Solesmes School of reconstruction emends the notation in the St. Gall MSS to suit the concept of what G. chant should be, not what it is in the MSS..

Dang it; I have a deadline to meet, but, sometimes.....

Best wishes,

Dr. R. I. Altman
.
Vincent Shalom,
While noting that 'The psalms are for singing' or 'the psalms are for chanting'.
I would recommend looking into "Music of the Bible Revealed" research
by Suzanne Haik-Vantoura. I think it could open alot in the area you
are studying.

Avi Wollman