b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 45, Issue 9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Blankinship, Benjamin" <bla26 AT co.henrico.va.us>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 45, Issue 9
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:43:30 -0400

> So no, I don't believe that G-d sponsors evil of any kind, but G-d
> has given us the choice to obey or disobey, and that G-d has put into
> place laws of action and reaction, including consequences of our
> actions, that our actions cause reactions in all the realms of
> Creation, physical as well as spiritual, according to these laws of
> cause and effect, and that Satan is the angel whose job it is to
> tempt people away from obedience to G-d, under orders from G-d. I
> don't know completely why - I suppose so that people exercise their
> choice between "good and evil" ie obedience and disobedience.

If you do not believe that Satan has been followed by myriads of other
angels, how do you account for the appearance that Satan is at work in
many places at one time? I agree with you that he is not like G_d, e.g.
does not have G_d's ability to act in two places at once. But it appears
to me that Satan has an influence on millions of people every day.
Doesn't that imply that there are other angels following him, doing his
bidding?

Or perhaps "Satan" is not one particular angel, but is a sobriquet for
any angel who happens to be serving God's purpose by tempting people
away from obedience to G_d at any given moment?

--
Ben B

  • Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 45, Issue 9, Blankinship, Benjamin, 09/06/2006