b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Satan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Satan
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:53:54 -0500

Where is the word "moral" in the Torah? Isn't that just a modern concept?

Evil is the result, the effect of disobedience to G-d, and the cutting off by degree, from closeness to G-d. And the effects resonate throughout all the worlds of existence - spiritual and this physical one.

Shoshanna

HH: Moral evil is due to a contradiction of God's will, so God does not
have to create it. It is simply a perversion of something He has
created. He created the human will, which is capable of contravening
God's will. When we do that, moral evil arises, first of all
disobedience. God hates moral evil and does not create it, just as he
does not incite murder:

Prov. 8:13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.

Psa. 11:5 The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who
love violence his soul hates.

Prov. 6:16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are
detestable to him:
Prov. 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent
blood,
Prov. 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be
swift in running to mischief,
Prov. 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth
discord among brethren.

HH: He does not create the things he hates.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Satan is a rebellious angel in Christian thinking.

I know, but not in (most) Jewish thinking, and only based on a very
imaginative interpretation of the Tanakh.

The Tanakh shows a pattern of progressive revelation, more and more
being revealed as time passed. Christians believe that the Tanakh shows
an incomplete angelology and demonology, which later revelation
clarifies.

Ditto.

Yigal Levin

.