b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Answer to Harold part 1: b-hebrew Digest-angels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Answer to Harold part 1: b-hebrew Digest-angels
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:46:33 -0500

First of all, everything originates from G-d.

Second of all, this subject of evil is immense, and it's discussed in great depth in the metaphysical part of Oral Torah.

Briefly there is evil as a measure of the absence of goodness - OR an extreme imbalance between G-d's attributes of Divine Mercy and Divine Judgement - OR an interruption of the flow of Divine energy throughout the world. But there is nothing that is regarded as INHERENTLY evil, to my understanding, nor does evil have an independent existence. And this all depends on man's actions, which all hinge around obedience to G-d.

Obviously certain disobedient acts by man are more serious than others, a lot of that is reflected in Torah, which outlines which transgressions get which punishments, and which are called abominations. And so many of the commandments in the Torah have to do with how we act between ourselves, as opposed to between man and G-d, so it is easy to understand how transgressing those will cause discord.

But in written Torah:

Deuteronomy 30:15: I [G-d] have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil. (as a choice)

Isaiah 45:7: I (G-d) form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I the Lord do all these things.

So no, I don't believe that G-d sponsors evil of any kind, but G-d has given us the choice to obey or disobey, and that G-d has put into place laws of action and reaction, including consequences of our actions, that our actions cause reactions in all the realms of Creation, physical as well as spiritual, according to these laws of cause and effect, and that Satan is the angel whose job it is to tempt people away from obedience to G-d, under orders from G-d. I don't know completely why - I suppose so that people exercise their choice between "good and evil" ie obedience and disobedience.

I don't understand why you use the word 'inspire'.

HH: Let me ask you a question. Does God sponsor moral evil? Satan
inspired people to murder. Are you saying that God sponsors murder, that
he inspires murder?

HH: Also, what is your interpretation of the "sons of God" in Genesis
6:2? Who do you think they are?

Yours,
Harold Holmyard