b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet? Sanhedrin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy714 AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet? Sanhedrin
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:12:55 -0400

I have a few questions about this discussion I hope some of you may be able to expound on.

First, I note that the on line version of the Jewish encyclopedia ( http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=229&letter=S )
states, ". . . but the fact that no passage whatever in the pre-exilic books of the Bible refers to this institution seems to indicate that
it was not introduced before the time of the Second Temple." Is there any written or archaeological evidence for the existence
of the Sanhedrin in pre-exilic times?

Second, would the Sanhedrin have made a decision on those prophets who were living in other nations such as Israel during the divided kingdom or Daniel?

Third, were those judgments recorded in any surviving documents or would they only be known in oral traditions?
If they were known in oral traditions, do you apply any historical methodology to determine which traditions are authentic? Or is the assumption that any tradition not accepted by modern Judaism is a false tradition?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy