b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Accreditation of prophets

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Accreditation of prophets
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 00:16:37 +0100

On 01/09/2006 23:37, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
OK now I'm going to answer this email and then take a rest til after Shabbat, because I can feel myself getting real angry.

Shoshanna, don't get angry. I don't think there is as much difference between you on one side and Harold and myself on the other as you or Harold may think.

We agree that there was some kind of court system in Israel, dating back at least to the time of Moses. This was later called the Sanhedrin, but probably not originally as this is a Greek word. The details of this court are lost in time except in so far as they are remembered in the Oral Torah. Nothing controversial here, I hope.

We also agree that there was some kind of recourse to this court, and perhaps also to subsidiary local courts, in the case of false prophets, those who claimed to speak from God but whose prophecies did not come true. Presumably someone who was accused before this court of being a false prophet and in fact was able to prove his or her genuineness would then be recognised by the court as a true prophet. I think we can agree here too.

On your understanding, someone who was recognised by the court as a prophet first had to make three specific predictions and then see them come true before being recognised as a prophet. This implies that this person had been speaking out predictive prophecies from God without already being a recognised prophet. Thus we must agree that it is not only those who are recognised prophets who are able to make predictive prophecies.

The difference between us comes over the status of a person who is able to make predictive prophecies from God but has not been formally recognised as a prophet by a court of law. Is it proper to call such a person a prophet? That is an argument over semantics rather than substance. Would such a person have been permitted to "practise" as a prophet, whatever that might mean? For example, would they be permitted to make public predictive prophecies? My feeling is that we don't know. You suggest on the basis of oral tradition that they would not have been allowed to "practise" without first getting some kind of accreditation from the court. I suspect that the best answer is that it depended on the time and the place. There may well have been times in the history of Israel when the Sanhedrin operated properly according to the model described in the Oral Torah. But then there were times of apostasy when the court may well have been ineffective, or it may have been compromised, for example to recognise the false prophets of 1 Kings 22. On the other hand, if it is a matter of faith for you that there were no such times, that however apostate Israel may have become the Sanhedrin were always faithful, it would be pointless for me to try to argue you out of this position.

The situation sounds rather similar to accreditation of various trades and professions today. I don't know the detailed situation in the USA, but I know that here in the UK there is a creeping requirement for accreditation to do almost anything. A century ago, perhaps, doctors and lawyers had to be accredited in advance to practise, but most tradespersons could practise without any kind of qualification or accreditation - although they were still answerable to the courts if they did a bad job. Now, to protect the public from all kinds of dangers, many trades require accreditation and it is actually illegal to sell many services without it. The question is, were prophets in Israel more like the doctors and lawyers of a century ago, who needed accreditation in advance from a court before practising, or were they more like the tradespersons of those days, who could practise without accreditation, but were answerable to the court if they got things wrong? My answer is that we don't know, and the situation may have changed over the centuries in Israel, as it has here with tradespersons. Your take on this may be different, but in that case we need to agree to disagree.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org