b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jewish writings before Jesus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jewish writings before Jesus
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 02:07:20 -0500

The Talmud was not written before Jesus.

There are, however, MANY extrabiblical writings from the Jewish people
during and before the time asserted as the life of Jesus. The
"deuterocanonicals" are Jewish in origin (and they belonged to the
Christian Scriptures for a long time). The sectarian documents of the
Qumran community are Jewish from around that time. There are several
books mentioned in the Tanakh that we do not have copies of today; for
example, "The Annals of the Kings of Judah" (1 Kings 14:29) and "The
Annals of the Kings of Israel" (1 Kings 14:19). These certainly served
as source materials for the compilation of the Samuel/Kings and
Chronicles records. Josephus was a Jewish author from that time, as
was Philo from Alexandria, Egypt.

This covers some of the Jewish writings from the time of and before
Jesus. I do not have an exhaustive list. These are just the ones that
come to mind.

ܫܠܡܐ - שלמא
Yonah