b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ehyeh in Ex. 3.14 and the LXX translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ehyeh in Ex. 3.14 and the LXX translation
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:54:23 -0500

Mitch Larramore wrote:

Is ehyeh in the Hebrew in a predicate position (as
in... I am ehyeh)? The LXX translate this EGW EIMI hO
WN (where the name appears to be hO WN, not EGW EIMI),
but I think I was told that the Hebrew expression here
for the name of YHWH is not in a predicate position.
Can somebody please school me on the grammar here? Why
did the LXX translators use a predicate construct?
(Also, it would seem to me that the LXX translators
would have used hO WN with reference to YHWH when they
translated Isaiah, but you find EGW EIMI.) Any help
would be appreciated.

HH: There is not really a predicate position in Hebrew, other than a word being on the far side of a copulative verb. Predicate position is a point of Greek grammar. Ehyeh is a subject and verb combination itself.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard