b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:08:05 -0700

Peter:

You shouldn't take umbrage to what David said. You yourself admit that
wikipedia is an uncertain source, and that's all David intimated. Or
at least that's how I read his statement.

Even if all the experts agreed (in this case, they don't, because this
controversy exists), that does not mean they are correct.

What I have against wikipedia is that they go with the academic
majority du jour and deride and attack minority positions on
controversial subjects. Those are not the actions of a scholarly
and/or accurate reportage, rather a demonstration of biased
partisanship, an action which automatically makes wikipedia entries on
controversial subjects suspect, even when they might be right.

Karl W. Randolph.

On 8/6/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 06/08/2006 21:13, David P Donnelly wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh
> The link above takes you to the Wikipedia Article:Yahweh.
> Section 10 of this article is titled: "Yahweh and Theophoric names".
> Three excerpts from scholarly sources are found in this section that
> C-L-A-I-M that the prefixes Yeho or Yo and the suffixes Yah or Yahu can
> readily be explained if the original pronunciation was "YaHWeH".
> Of course it is possible that these three scholarly sources could be
> mistaken in what they claim.
> Dave Donnelly

Dave, in Wikipedia you might find a quote from three "scholarly sources"
which C-L-A-I-M that the world is round. "Of course it is possible that
these three scholarly sources could be mistaken in what they claim." But
I don't think you would be justified in writing this kind of message
trying to discredit these sources, unless of course you had some
evidence that they might be mistaken.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org