b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alexander Oldernes <alexander AT oldernes.no>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:28:12 +0200

the standalone Yah and the suffixed Yahu seems to
conclusively prove and original 'a' in the first
syllable.

"Yahu" is "Yah" + "hu"
Eliyah means "my God is Yah", while Eliyahu means "my God is Yah himself".

YH may be the first and the last letter of YHWH - then it would prove an 'a' in the last syllable.
That make sense because when the three first letters are used in theophoric names, they are written "Yeho".

Alexander Oldernes
Norway

----- Original Message ----- From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>