b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] psalm 22:9 and 15 as heap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] psalm 22:9 and 15 as heap
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:16:45 +0000

Dear Yitzhak,

The word mem ayin yud is defined in some dictionaries as a heap of ruins, but it is only used in Isaiah 17:1. Maybe in that quote it says about Damascus that "it will be from a heap a ruin" or "from a ruinous heap" if the word heap is ayin yud ?

I hate when dictionaries give definitions for words that are only used once and no one knows what they really mean. I wish they would at least put a question mark next to it.
My dictionary is called "the compendious Hebrew-English dictionary" by Reuben Grossman and H. Sachs and edited and revised by M.H. Segal by Dvir Publishing 1956. If I am wrong about this word, I should at least get to blame them.

Sincerely,
Kenneth Greifer