b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Scandinavia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: George Athas <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Scandinavia
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:02:58 +0100

On 18/07/2006 01:57, George Athas wrote:
Peter Kirk wrote:
Yes, but maybe not this long. Britain was still
connected to the Continent at this period, and
I think Scandinavia also through Denmark.
For the peace of mind of any Scandinavian members, the last time I looked
Scandinavia was still connected to the continent, but through Finland. So
all is ok.
Indeed, George! But I was making a serious point. Around 10,000 BCE it is unlikely that people walked from the Atlantic coast of SW Europe to Scandinavia via Finland, not least because their way was probably still blocked by an ice sheet. But I think they could have walked overland by the much shorter route through what is now Denmark. So there is no reason to suggest that they sailed.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org