b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 3:25 - the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew-lists. ibiblio. org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 3:25 - the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:32:15 -0700

On 7/16/06, Joel Stucki <joel AT stucki.ws> wrote:
On 7/16/06, schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Ok, this one is more biblical aramaic, (and some Latin and Greek) so I hope
you don't mind.
> And also it can veer into the interpretive issues, however my main question
is the Ben Hayim text.

> Daniel 3:25
> He answered and said,
> Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire,
> and they have no hurt;
> and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
>
> We likely all know that "Son of God" is often translated differently,
> such as "son of the gods", due to the plural form of the Aramaic
> in the Masoretic Text le-bar-elahin
> (some omit le, some have ber, some have alehin)
>
> Some other translations -- "divine being" "a god" "(that of) an angel"
(Judaica Press)

> It was a little difficult to determine possible textual variations.
>
> MAIN QUESTION - BEN HAYIM AND DSS
>
> My main concern is the Ben Hayim Masoretic Text, (which is generally the
same
> as the first two editions of Kittels). I was wondering if that has any
variation.

> And I would conjecture that the DSS has the exact same plural form as the
currently
> used Masoretic texts, I was also wondering whether there is any variation
at all.
> (no footnote in the DSS Bible).

Complicated question about the DSS but a very interesting one. There
are several Daniel scrolls found in the DSS, all are fragmentary. They
were found mostly in cave 4 but some in cave 1 and 6. They are known
as follows:

1Q71
1Q72
4Q112
4Q113
4Q114
4Q115
4Q116
6Q7

For this verse you wan to look at 1Q72 and 4Q115.

You can find a photo online of 1Q72 here
http://www.nb.no/baser/schoyen/4/4.1/411.html#1926 Unfortunately not
the part you are looking for.

While a part of the verse is attested in these two fragments I do not
think the actual part you are looking for exists in the scrolls. I
know 4Q115 is very poor condition.

Joel Stucki

I take back that last part. Look at
http://www.nb.no/baser/schoyen/4/4.1/ms1926_4.jpg.
Go to the lower left fragment. 5th line down. There is the part you
are looking for. Partally obliterated but you can read "LBR (L???" It
looks like follows the Masoretic exactly.

Joel Stucki