b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The High Priest

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The High Priest
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:21:09 +0100

On 07/07/2006 06:42, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
Hello Hebrew Listers,

I have an question. Aaron is traditionally regarded as the first "High Priest" -
Godowl Kohen, an office which then is then passed down long the male line to
Eleazer, Phineas, and so on to Abiathar and Zadok. However, none of these men
is actually called Godowl Kohen, they are simple Ha-Kohen. No one is addressed
with the title of Godowl Kohen until Hilkiah in 2 Kings 22:4.
Are there any thoughts on this issue?

See http://www.ktbh-team.org/Sample%20Entries/KHN-kohen-kehunna.pdf (sorry about some formatting errors) for a draft analysis I did a couple of years ago of all Hebrew Bible occurrences of this word group, for the KTBH project, http://www.ktbh-team.org/.

I note there that HAKKOHEN HAGGADOL or similar is used generically in Leviticus 21:10; Numbers 35:25,28,28; Joshua 20:6, and of an unnamed person (perhaps Jehoiada, but this is not made explicit) in 2 Kings 12:11, but indeed not of named individuals before Hilkiah in 2 Kings 22:4. The similar KOHEN HARO'SH is used in 2 Chronicles 19:11; 26:20, 31:10 of Amariah in the time of Jehoshaphat, Azariah in the time of Uzziah, and another Azariah in the time of Hezekiah; also in 24:11 of an unnamed person in parallel with 2 Kings 12:11, thus showing that this is the Chronicler's equivalent of HAKKOHEN HAGGADOL.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

  • Re: [b-hebrew] The High Priest, Peter Kirk, 07/07/2006