b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ויהי ערב ויהי בקר

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ויהי ערב ויהי בקר
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:29:41 +0100

HH: I have always read the "was" in this verse as expressing the passing
of time or happening of an event. This is an acceptable use of the
English word. Somebody describing an evening at a friend's house might
say, "We talked for an hour in the living room, then there was dinner.
Later we watched T.V." Saying "there was dinner" means that dinner
happened or the time of dinner passed.

JCR: Yeah. I can see what you mean with the dinner
example. That works in everyday English. But I don't
think I've ever heard morning or evening used in such
a way e.g. 'I worked all day and then there was evening'
just doesn't seem to sound right but I see what you
are saying by understanding the time passing.

Just out of interest do you see morning and evening as
subjects of wayhiy or as objects? They seem to me to
be subjects with the sense of 'And then night fell and
then morning arose' or 'and then the night came and
then the morning came' or something like that? What do
you think?

James C. Read
UK