b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yitzhak, Respose canaanites and Language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Joel Stucki <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yitzhak, Respose canaanites and Language
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 19:34:30 +0100

On 01/07/2006 19:18, Joel Stucki wrote:
... The specific
question here was language development from the time of Abraham. There
is just simply no source to draw from to reconstruct this type of
data. The same could be said about the lengthy recent discussion about
Jacob's daughters.

No, Joel, there is one source, the biblical text. This is a valid source. It may be an uncorroborated source. But plenty of other things in ANE history are considered to be assured truths on the basis of one source with no confirmation. I say we should treat the Bible as (at least a priori) as valid a source as an any other we have.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org