b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs "Will Be"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy714 AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs "Will Be"
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:52:20 -0400

Rolf Furuli wrote:
In order to have a well reasoned opinion of )HYH )$R )HYH Exodus 3:14, one should have studied all instances of first person singluar YIQTOLs of HYH (there are not too many), and one should be aware of how stativity and person can restrict the transltional possibilities of verbs.

Rolf, Are you suggesting that the first person singular YIQTOL of HYH would have a different meaning that Second or Third person YIQTOLS?
Do you make that claim concerning other verbs or just HYH?

Would you agree that there is a present aspect as well as a continued or
future aspect to HYH in at least some of the places where a first person
singular YIQTOL of HYH is found?

Personally, I can't imagine God was telling Moses in Exodus 3:12 "I will be with you in the future but I am not with you now." Nor can I imagine that Exodus 3:14 suggests that God will exist but does not currently exist. Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy