b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] HYH vs. HWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] HYH vs. HWH
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)

Yitzhak Sapir wrote,

"The root HWH/HYH can be seen as a basic root *HWH that developed
features similar to "?YH" verbs (such as XYH "live") as a result of the
nearby initial H. Generally, "?WH" verbs seem rather stable in the
Hebrew of the Bible, for example $WH ("equal"), LWH ("lend"). Both
of these have Hiphil forms with the use of a waw, and it is definitely
possible that the waw was retained in this form (assuming the verb
ever had an Hiphil). This shows just how oddball the HYH/HWH verb
can be that it is hard to make any conclusions from it. Similarly, the
name YHWH may not necessarily be derived from HWH. It could just
as easily be derived from an otherwise unknown root *YHW. Together,
all these special cases make it impossible to categorize YHWH as
a name of Aramaic origin."

Sorry, every single sentence, except the last, in the above paragraph
states a groundless speculation. Just a few examples -- you create
an imaginary root *HWH, when a such real root is thoroughly attested
in Aramaic; you create an imaginary "stable'"root of "?YH" to which one
can only respond with "WHAT?"; and so forth.

Having built an imaginary foundation you then groundlessly decide:
" how oddball the HYH/HWH verb can be that it is hard to make any
conclusions from it." Apparently you missed a paragraph in my
that there is an overwhelming preponderence of HYH in camparison
with HWH in the HB : roughly 2000 to 6. And this decisively
demonstrates that in biblical Hebrew there is a clear cut distinction
between these two roots: HYH is the standard root for the verbal
'to be', HWH is not. Nothing "oddeballish" about these two roots,
as is crystal clear from their verbal use in the HB.

The DN (divine name) YHWH was debated here many times, and apparently is
being debated again, but that would require a different discussion
altogether.

Uri Hurwitz