b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] intelligibility : Heb. -Moabite etc

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] intelligibility : Heb. -Moabite etc
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:45:18 +0000

Karl Randolph wrote:

What I know of Moabite is what I read on the Mesha
stone. Unless Hebrew from that time had a different
pronunciation for the letters than did Moab, which
I find highly unlikely, the differences between
Moabite and Hebrew were less than those between a
Hoosier twang and a deep southern drawl, both U.S.
English, or about the same as between Norwegian and
Swedish.

In comparison, the differences between Hebrew and
Aramaic remind me of the differences between German
and Dutch, recognizably close cognate languages,
but not readily understood when spoken.