b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew -dialect of canaanite

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew -dialect of canaanite
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:19:46 -0700 (PDT)

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
"I am not sure why someone thinks that "yhwh" is Aramaic.

It could just as well be Hebrew. I understand (based on

memory of past discussions here) that neither "hwh" nor

"yhwh" are attested or known prior to the 1st millenium BCE."

One can find HWH as the verb 'to be' in an Aramaic

inscription in a ninth/eigth BCE century Aramaic inscription. Check it in
the KIA

(remember, the editorial language is German) under Aramaic

Inscriptions; whereas in the Hebrew inscriptions the verb is

HYH.

As for the root HYH in the Hebrew Bible for 'to be', it

is attested roughly 2000 times ( an electronic count here

would be helpful!); this can be compared with root HWH in the

HB, again for the verb 'to be', which appears 5 or 6 times.

Obviously the conclusion that the root HYH served as the

standard verb for 'to be' in Hebrew is not far fetched; very

rare occurrences of HWH in this verbal function would

have been under Aramiac influence.

Please keep in mind that the above remarks refer

specifically to verbs.

Uri

countries) for 2ยข/min or less.