b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Formulation of the law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Formulation of the law
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:11:45 +0100

Liz wrote
I can see where that certainly does seem logical, and in fact there is the
instance of Zelophehed's (sp?) daughters. However, what problem does not
eating pork solve, and what about not cooking a kid in his mother's milk,
etc. etc.?
END QUOTE

JCR:
Yeah! I can see your point with the prohibition against
eating pork and of not cooking a kid in its mother's
milk.
As already noted though the prohibition of eating
certain foods and the command for circumcision are
already recorded as being given long before the time of
Moshe so these are really out of the discussion as they
are already accounted for.
Things like not cooking a kid in its mother's milk,
however, are worthy of consideration.
Perhaps the formulation of the law was a mixture of
laws already given by Yah to prior generations, laws
that were made by Moshe in response to specific
cirucumstances, laws given directly to Moshe from Yah
or one of his 'messengers' and traditions passed down
through the generations of the hebrew family.