b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: oral Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: oral Torah
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:07:31 -0400

Dear All,
We should not speak of The Sanhedrin, and especially not of The Great
Sanhedrin.
It is my understanding that there were only sanhedrins, ad hoc called by the
Roman governor to rubber stamp his opinions. What is the evidence of
sanhedrins before the Roman period? I heard a talk on this by Ed Sanders at
SBL one year. Based on his study of the Talmud, Josephus, and other second
temple texts, he reached the above conclusions.
Best,
Liz Fried