b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Yahweh a QAL 3ms Imperfect?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Garth Hotmail" <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Yahweh a QAL 3ms Imperfect?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:53:00 +1000

Dear Dave and Edward and all,

My recent thinking is that "Yahweh" could easily be a QAL 3ms Imperfect.

The vowels of Qal Imperfects are variable and seem to depend on each root's
vowels.

These show up in 1st-gutteral roots, of which HW- is one.
Limiting the range further, I searched for all Qal imperfects of roots
spelled H?H, and found four in the Bible, each with different vocalisation:

1.. HGH "mutter" => Yehgeh
2.. HYH "be" => Yihyeh
3.. HMH "roar" => Yehemeh
4.. HRH "conceive" => Taharu "you shall conceive" (Is 33:11)
Note the fourth root above with it's vocalisation 'YaCaCeH'. This is the
exact vocalisation suggested for 'Hiphil' Yahweh, but all of these are Qal!

A Qal Imperfect "He is" better fits the context of Exodus 3:14-15 than the
Hiphil meaning "He causes to be". Also, Hebrew root HWH is only known in the
Qal stem.

By the way, I have a yahoo group dedicated to the discussion of God's name
YHWH. You would all be welcome to join us and contribute to the discussion:

Love from Garth Grenache,

Moderator of YHWHgroup