b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] high-priests ..... left-hand

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] high-priests ..... left-hand
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 06:43:18 +0200

2006/6/17, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>:

Dear Anna,

Yes, priests who had any deformity, permanent of temporary, were not
allowed
to perform sacrifices. Obviously, a priest who cannot perform sacrifices
is
also disqualified from the office of High Priest. In fact, Josephus
recounts
that one of the later Hasmoneans, I think Aristobolus III, chopped off his
uncle's ear, thus disqualifying him for the High Priesthood, so that he
could have the job. If I remember correctly, he was later drowned by King
Herod in a swimming pool. In any case, a list of these disqualifying
deformities is written in Lev. 21:17-23. "Left-handedness" (Hebrew
"Itter")
is not among them. But I would not be surprised if later halakhah (Jewish
law, such as the Talmud and Rambam) included left-handedness in the list.
Just a generation ago, left-handed people were considered handicapped. My
father is left-handed. I remember him telling me that when he was in
school,
his teachers forced him to write with his right hand.

[not entirely on topic] In Holland, I've heard stories of my parents'
generation, that when kids were left-handed, in some primary/middle schools
their left hands were tied to the chair in order to force them to write with
their right hand (that's up to the early 1960's). [Can you imagine?]
Herman
Rotterdam