b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] jacob's daughters in Gen. 37:35

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] jacob's daughters in Gen. 37:35
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:15:34 +0200

Hi Doug,

So does the Hebrew. That's just the point. In theory, the reference coud be
to daughters-in-law, his sons' wives. Statistically, it would be reasonable
for a man with 12 sons to have more than one daughter, but since only Dinah
"got into trouble" she's the only one mentioned. But the midrash makes each
of those daughters a twin of each of Jacob's sons, and assume that they all
married their half-brothers, since, as I wrote, the sons "could not" have
married Canaanitesses. In fact, even when Gen. 46:10 specifically says that
one of Simeon's sons is "Shaul son of the Canaaitess" the midrash explains
that this is actually Dinah, who is called a "Canaanitess" because she had
been "taken" by the Canaanite Hamor of Shechem.
As I wrote, I don't think that the rabbis meant for such midrashim to be
taken "literally".

Yigal