b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew a dead language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew a dead language?
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:12:22 -0500

Uri:

He knows very little about Mishnaic Hebrew.

However, he sees indications already in Biblical
Hebrew that after the Babylonian Exile it had
largely ceased to be a language learned at one's
mother's knee but still learned and used as a
religious and civic language. Mishnaic Hebrew,
being later, therefore would not be a continuation
of native speaking Biblical Hebrew.

Further, he thinks that it follows an Aramaic
rather than Hebrew pronunciation, hence many
Masoretic points (a later development after
Mishnaic Hebrew) may be wrong (most likely are
wrong).

But you have a point that it is off topic.

Karl W. Randolph.