b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Hebrew a dead language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Hebrew a dead language?
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:37:45 -0500

Herman:

What I have admitted at the outset is that the
evidence for either understanding is inconclusive,
subject to interpretation. Under such circumstances
the temptation exists to try to speak louder with
more force, hoping that decibels will make up for
unsure data. I know I sometimes fall for that
temptation, as evidenced in a couple of the
exchanges I have participated in on this list
previously.

Because of the lack of data, I see no use to trying
to rehash the question, unless new evidence can be
adduced.

You mentioned a couple of examples which you
believe are convincing, in particular your Adan and
Nitpael examples. But I find them unconvincing, in
particular in light of other evidence of language
development that you discount. Adan looks like a
case of Aramaic influence on Mishnaic Hebrew which
shows up because Hebrew was still written at least
partially phonetically. As for the nitpael, just a
development of spoken language that can occur,
still not proof that Hebrew was learned at a
mother’s knee. Just because the users of Latin
maintain a certain conservatism of morphology and
writing, does not mean that the writers of Mishnaic
Hebrew practiced the same conservatism.

If we don’t even agree on the evidence, how can we
ever come to an agreement on the conclusions?

Yours respectfully, Karl W. Randolph.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Hebrew a dead language?, Karl Randolph, 05/24/2006