b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] font charts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Susan Jeffers <susan AT read-the-bible.org>
  • To: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] font charts
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:21:58 -0400

Greetings --

I have a friend who's a librarian for whom I'm trying to prepare a chart showing the Hebrew alphabet in as wide a variety of fonts as possible, to help her in transliterating titles and so on from books in the library. Often the title page fonts are quite stylized, making "pattern recognition" difficult.

(1) Do you know of any such chart already in existence, online or elsewhere?

(2) Can you suggest web pages with charts for particular fonts already made up -- such as these two, which aren't particularly stylized but do offer a bit of variation:
<http://www.followme-series.org/images/templates/hebrew.gif>http://www.followme-series.org/images/templates/hebrew.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_alphabet

(3) If anyone out there uses HebraicaII font, can you tell me where these letters are? I'm trying to make my own chart using the Hebrew fonts I find on my computer, and several of them are really a challenge since I don't use them or have keyboard layouts: het/chet, final kaf, final mem, final nun, final peh/feh, final tsadi.

(4) Do you have any other suggestions for how I might help my friend decipher Hebrew fonts? She does not know Hebrew, and is just trying to be a little more independent in her job, not having to go running to the Hebrew experts for every little thing.

THANKS!!

Susan Jeffers

EMail: susan AT read-the-bible.org
Peace Church Bible Study Home Page: www.read-the-bible.org

  • [b-hebrew] font charts, Susan Jeffers, 05/18/2006