b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:38 -0500

Dear Doug,

HH: If you are claiming that light was the first thing created, you
are in difficulty with the text, which says that before the light,
there was darkness over the surface of the deep. There were waters.
So there were other things in existence prior to light.

HH, I have a question here, when was water created? Also, Isa 45:18, God says He did not creat the earth formless and void, "a waste place"?

HH: You raise a good question. Why, in an account of creation, would God start with many things already created? Why wouldn't the story just show us how He created all things? I believe the Genesis 1 account does that by saying that in the beginning He created the heavens and the earth. Water was one of the things created in His creation of the basic heavens and earth.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void, Harold Holmyard, 04/13/2006