b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] proto-Hebrew alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] proto-Hebrew alphabet
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:58:33 -0600

Dear Emmanuel,

I am trying to read a Dead Sea Scrolls (Qumran) fascimile of a psalm sold to a friend at the Charlotte NC (USA) exhibition. This must be a proto Aramaic or old Hebrew alphabet antedating the square letters. Could you provide me with a printout of these characters with their modern Hebrew equivalents? I would be very thankful. Prof. Emmanuel Gitlin, Ph.D., Professor of Biblical Studies, teacher of a Bible class as the local Reform temple, 828-32203842, 109 6th Ave NE, H ickory, NC 28601, USA

HH: I am a Christian. Here is a website with the old Hebrew alphabet:

http://www.ancientscripts.com/old_hebrew.html

HH: You should be able to print out this web page on your computer.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard