b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tithe
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:52:08 -0500

Peter:

You're right. Now that you mention it, I remember
the words.

Where do you get the idea that such mention is
anachronistic? In my reading of Tanakh, I get the
impression that Cyrus' command allowing Jews to
return to Judea and rebuild the temple and
Nehemiah's commission to rebuild Jerusalem's walls
were two completely separate events with a century
spanning the interval between them.

Chronicles was written after the Exile, so its
mention is an explanation, while Nehemiah and Ezra
were writing about their own time, ca. 420 to 400
BC, or well after Darius 1.

Could it be that counting the tithe as a percentage
of money started at about that time? As a nod to
those Jews who lived in Babylon while Jews who
returned to Judea tithed in the traditional manner?

Karl W. Randolph.