b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] : CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] : CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:56:05 +0100

What Uri says is right.
A dislike, often observed, of using Arabic as a means to understand
biblical Hebrew better, in my view, is (unfortunately) not always
without political or religious bias. Languages, in their syntax,
morphology and phonology, have nothing to do with politics or
religion. Classical Arabic is not itself Proto-central-Semitic, but
many of the features of the latter construct are still there in
Arabic, too. The fact that Arabic, unlike Hebrew, conserved case
endings and a.o the subjunctive in the verb says a lot.

Herman