b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] lehem: a curious thing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] lehem: a curious thing
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:11:34 +0200

I was browsing through the Gilgamesh yesterday, and noticed a common idiom,
"bread, the essence of life." Now, my Sumerian could be fairly described as
less-than-basic, and I cannot judge the translation.

The idiom reminded me of Hebrew lehem, bread. Could it have originated as
le-haiim? Just a curious possibility. I know that the related meanings of lhm
root are well established.

Vadim Cherny
>From uhurwitz AT yahoo.com Sat Jan 28 11:51:59 2006

h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=xzHX/ICHE2dVUTWi0gg7ii3UdrIZbhw052I8bUJ2WK1yaR1YHcTHACvdstfDgkEWGxvIKxEdUhl29FB9Qvl5G14jyevRgEyiqbJ8+/HdZGOLmgp0IZ7ggdjPKJE9JUCCLCTr3U7TN/bYz6Zgd2qV9mKBRY5xy+tDNVeEflvQGis
;