b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rabbinic Exegesis of Psalm 51:7 (Hebrew Text)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rabbinic Exegesis of Psalm 51:7 (Hebrew Text)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:49:02 +0200

Dear Clayton,

The short answer is that Rabbinic Judaism does not accept a concept of "original sin" in the way that it is understood by Christians. In Jewish thought, humans are created innately imperfect, because only by having the impulse to sin can they be rewarded for truly and freely choosing not to. What "David" is saying here, is that since you, God, created me sinful, you should be receptive to my honest repentance.

Yigal

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clayton Javurek" <javurek AT asu.edu>