b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MDBR vs. YSYMWN

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MDBR vs. YSYMWN
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 08:40:35 -0500

Jack:

The distinction that I see is that a Y$YMWN is a desolated
place, while a MDBR is a place typified by thorns and
stingers. The latter is because MDBR as a word is related
to words meaning to sting, poke or injure with a sharp
object; bee (which has a stinger); thorn and pestilence.
Usually such places are also desolated, hence the two
terms can often describe the same places.

Karl W. Randolph.