b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judaica searchable CD Rom?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Casanellas <pcasanel AT xtec.net>
  • To: Jace Broadhurst <jace.broadhurst AT aimint.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judaica searchable CD Rom?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:49:24 +0100

Dear Jace,

You can consult and search the Targum online in the excellent Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon database: <http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/index.html>.

The excellent BibleWorks program includes (taken from the CAL database) the Targum Onkelos to the Torah, Jonathan to the Prophets and Targum to the Hagiographa: <http://www.bibleworks.com>. I think the Targum database in this program will be improved in the future.

I use the Soncino Talmud and think that it is very helpful and easy to use. In has the Hebrew/Aramaic text and also the English Soncino translation and notes.

The Responsa CD12 is a bit complicated to use, does not have any translation of Hebrew/Aramaic texts and does not include the Targum. It includes a lot of other texts and has very good search capabilities.

You can find more CDs on Judaica (and the addresses of the last two) on page 32 of my web pages <http://www.pere.casanellas.com/bible> (see also page 31).

Best wishes,

--

Pere Casanellas
Co-director of the Corpus Biblicum Catalanicum <http://www.abcat.org/cbcat>

En/na Jace Broadhurst ha escrit:

I am in the market for several things and you all may be the best suited to give me advice. Searchable CDs of Judaica (Hebrew/Aramaic and English)
Talmud (both if possible), Midr (Tanh at least but Rab has some cool additions) and Tg (at least onk, Ps-J and Neofiti). I see that Davka has Soncino classics at under $400.00 and
this included Midrash Rabbah and Bab Talmud as well as Zohar. Have you used
this and is it worthwhile? Is it or any others you suggest very user
friendly? What about for the Targums? Any help you can give would be great.
Thanks
Jace