b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] b-hebrew.questions on the Suares translation of the The Song of Songs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brett Casben" <Brett AT envirodoctor.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew.questions on the Suares translation of the The Song of Songs
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:34:34 +1100

B Hebrew,
I have been working through the Song of Songs using Fox as a reference
complemented by the new Bloch translation. Recently I was referred to a
commentary by Carlos Suares which raises several questions in relation to the
actual translation of certain words in the original Hebrew which I would be
grateful of some assistance in resolving if possible.

1. Suares translates the double dallet/yod as it appears in several
places through the text as being 'nipples' where it is is generally referred
to 'lovemaking' in other texts.
2. The root sheen/mem somehow equates to name, essence, being
and the like and is varyingly interpreted in 1:3 as oils, your oils, your
essence, your name in its various parts but there doesn't seem any clear
analysis as to which means what. Any suggestions?
3. The word Turaq is interpreted in some cases as a name and
sometimes as a verb, 'to pour out' surely there must be a clearer indication
as to its meaning. Fox favours pour out but Suares states it as a name and
indicates it is the name of the person who is being addressed whereas
according to my enquiries it seems to be a place name. However it also crops
up in the original Hebrew tav waw raysh quof as an alternative spelling for
the Torah. Is this a possible interpretation, I mean, a reasonable meaning?
4. Suares interprets the 'chamber' in 1:4 as specifically
referable to a place of religious study where almost all other commentators
have it as a bedroom. Any thoughts?
5. In 1:6 Suares has the opening word order changed and
translates Al as El extracting an interpretation 'toward God'. This is
obviously totally at variance with most other translations.
6. Also in this verse the vineyard is varying interpreted as a
symbol of 'a full life' (Suares), sexual development, (Fox), isn't there some
more clear statement as to its imagery? Is this the same 'vineyard' referred
to in Hosea 2:15?
7. In 1:7 Suares has sheen lamed mem hay as Shalomah (phonetic)
not sallamah (lest/Fox) followed by aleph hay yod hay as it appears in
Genesis for 'I am' as Yahweh describes himself. This seems extraordinarily
divergent in meaning. Is there any support for the Suares interpretation or
is it considered completely out of field.
8. Suares makes consistent use of tracking the root meaning to
extract the idiom and this throws up two consistent interpretations at
variance with the accepted translations. The first is ghimel dallet as it
appears in 1:9 et seq which he interprets from its root 'goat' to mean new
journey. How does this square off with his interpretation of ayn yod noun -
ghimel dallet yod as a reference to 'a vine no longer wanted'.
9. The second is dallet ghimel 2:4 et seq which he interprets
from its root 'first borne of the sea' to mean a fish. In this regard can I
also refer you to Ruth 3:9 where the same root word seems to appear and ask
if this is the same referent.
10. In 2:7 et seq Suares rejects the interpretation Jerusalem
insisting that it omits the customary yod in favour of 'peaceful city' which
maybe all Jerusalem is anyway (although it has hardly ever been that, eh?).
10A. In 2:9 the word commonly translated as 'gazelle' Suares
identifies by its root as 'substance/thickness' and that for young stag as
'dust'. Are you able to assist as to whether there is support for either of
these translations?
11. In 4:3 Suares translates kaf hhayt waw tayt as sin and hay
sheen noun yod as dull or foolish which stands rather at odds with the
traditional interpretation. Again is their any other support for this
interpretation?
12. Suares also identifies the word as it appears in 6:6 as hay
mem waw raysh as derivative of mem waw raysh, to exchange not, as most often
translated as myrrh which he points out is elsewhere identified in the Song
as mem raysh without the interposed waw. If this is the case is the
construction the same as that appearing in Hosea 4:13?
13. Suares identifies the season in 2:11 as autumn rather than
spring as ayn bayt raysh he translates as 'prepare, rather than 'past'. Any
comments?
14. In 2:13 Suares states that the fig tree is a 'well known
symbol' but omits to tell us precisely for what, is it new life, is it the
productive spirit, is it faithfulness, what?
15. In 4:1 Suares translates sheen ayn raysh khaf as price, value
or measure. This is a long way away from the standard translation. Any
support for this?
16. In 4:5 Suares translates the word usually interpreted as
breasts, sheen dallet yod khaf, as a reference to 'the Almighty' Elohim. Now
there is a leap I wouldn't want to make alone. Any help there?
17. In 5:1 yod ayn raysh yod - dallet bayt sheen is translated in
Bloch as 'my honeycomb with my honey' whereas Suares gived the first word the
meaning of either 'forest' or 'wilderness' and the second as a 'spoilt
fermentation'.
I realise there is an awful lot to lay on you however if some of the issues
could be addressed that would be very much appreciated.
Regards and best wishes to you all
Brett Casben
Sydney, Australia