b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] word order

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] word order
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:44:52 +0100

שלום לכם תלמידי תנ"ך
Dear people discussing word order,

As I said in another mail in the thread "hebrew grammar", where I
discuss the Wayyqtl issue, I also stated something I would like to
hear your reaction to (in fact quoting my teacher Karel Jongeling, who
suggested this):
In order to describe word order in the best way possible, it may be
advisable to describe the syntax of all the lines in MT prose, where
it is clear we are dealing with direct speech. This direct speech may
be polished to meet the requirements of Hebrew literary prose, but it
is still direct speech, most likely to express the "actual" word
order.
Does anyway know if something like that has been done?
regards,
Herman