b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] word order

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] word order
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:44:57 +0000

On 30/11/2005 23:22, David Kummerow wrote:

2. Peter also suggested that wayyiqtols may be jussive forms without the the conjunction, a view promoted by DeCaen.

Vice versa, of course. And I don't rule out Herman's idea that there is also a definite marker in there. I am not sure whether that definite marker would imply that WAYYIQTOL is "a converted (i.e. secondary, not basal) form", Dave's description which I questioned.

However, in my opinion the view that Hebrew word order is verb-initial must at some point deal with the grammaticalised makeup of the wayyiqtol form. If it is analysed as [conjunction + clitic + preterite verb], it points to an original X-verb structure, ie verb second, ...

No, I dispute this analysis. The definite marker is not a clitic, if this is to be understood as a separate component of the sentence which has become attached to the verb; rather it is more like a verbal prefix.

... whereas it is often assumed that wayyiqtol confirms a "VSO" word order, ie verb initial. But as I said, depending on one's theoretical stance, [conjunction + clitic + verb] may still be taken as verb initial clause structure. ...

Indeed, it is verb initial, for the "clitic" is simply a prefix.

... Nothing is ever easy...

Indeed!

--
Peter Kirk