b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 34, Issue 26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 34, Issue 26
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:11:56 +0100

On 25/10/2005 22:29, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

in its transliterations. Did you not see the chart that Dr. Hoffman provided for us? I found it interesting.

[ http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/Excerpts/ITB-p95.pdf ]

Joel Hoffman's interesting chart of a rather small number of names was inadequate to show any clear patterns of relationship between the LXX and MT forms of these names. Considerably more names would be needed to show that there are patterns rather than chaos and randomness. The

On the contrary. It shows:

1. Place-of-articulation correlation between the LXX and MT consonants.

2. Voicing correlation between consonants.

3. Lack of stop/fricative/aspirant correlation.

4. Lack of vowel correlation.

In other words, except for the vowels and Beged Kefet, the LXX and MT
match pretty well.

I should have made it more clear at this point that Karl and I were discussing only the Masoretic vowel pointing, not the consonants. Thus your "Lack of vowel correlation" corresponds well with my "inadequate to show any clear patterns of relationship". I am not convinced that your data demonstrates "Lack of stop/fricative/aspirant correlation", for one exception does not imply zero correlation, but that is a separate matter.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)