b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The spice of lexicography: Human Sacrifice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The spice of lexicography: Human Sacrifice
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:06:20 +0100

On 21/10/2005 23:15, Read, James C wrote:

That would be a call to me. Now then! Where shall I start.

The most major failing of lexicography IMO is to force readers to
search words under their routes, which not only complicates things
for the untrained reader but is also downright misleading.

I think you mean "roots". To be fair to lexicographers, this was a failing of 19th century lexicography which has not, I think, been repeated in the 99 years since BDB was published.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

  • Re: [b-hebrew] The spice of lexicography: Human Sacrifice, Peter Kirk, 10/21/2005